It blows my mind to think on this, but I’m the SEMpdx Member of the Month for January. You can read my full interview with them on SEMpdx.org.
It’s especially mind-blowing because SEMpdx in one of the big reasons I am where I am today. I talk about this in the interview but having my boss send me to my first SEMpdx monthly educational event set events in motion that led to me becoming the founder of my own agency. Here’s a brief (and sloppy) chronology.
- Attends first SEMpdx event
- Becomes enthralled with the Portland SEO scene
- Attends first SearchFest —Mind blown in a big way
- Founders of SwellPath reach out to hire me as a junior SEO because of our mutual membership in the SEMpdx LinkedIn group.
- Attends another SearchFest seeing Jonathan Colman speak for the first time. Realizes that geeky introverts can speak at conferences, too!
- Starts blogging a ton and SEMpdx (thanks, Todd) always promotes via their newsletter
- Invited to speak on Authorship at a monthly SEMpdx event
- Career accelerates
- Joins the SEMpdx board for a few great years
- Speaks at SearchFest on structured data. Plants seeds with people who will years later reach out to become UpBuild’s first clients (all of which we still have)
- Founds UpBuild and gets great entrepreneurial advice from countless SEMpdx members
- UpBuild becomes awesome
- Becomes SEMpdx member of the month.
It’s an incredible honor to be recognized by an organization that’s done so much for me. If you live is Portland, Oregon and do anything related to search for a living, you’d be a fool not to join. Join SEMpdx.