Last updated: 2017-11-29
This is my /Now page. This is everything I’m up to…right now.
I’m currently living in Portland, OR with my wife and our two Pomeranians. I work from home and my neighbors must surely think I’m unemployed…or a drug dealer.
Things that are keeping me busy and excited these days.
- Being the CEO of UpBuild. I just hired an Operations Manager and it’s already clear that Ryan is a game-changer. I’m excited to see, once the dust settles, what I’m able to do with more time to work on the business rather than in the business.
- Not traveling. After speaking at TechSEO Boost in Boston on Nov 30th, I’m going to settle down for a while. I have no speaking engagements or personal trips planned for the rest of 2017 or Q1 in 2018 and I’m really looking forward to it.
- Playing a lot of classical guitar on my Cordoba 45 Limited. Here’s a snippet I put up on Instagram. Some pieces I’m working on:
- Torija by Francisco Moreno Torroba
- Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tarrega
- Mrs. Winter’s Jump by John Dowland
- Still typing Dvorak — it’s still my obsession. I switched a year ago and my typing speed on Dvorak is now about 10 WPM better than it was on QWERTY.
- I try to spend at least a few hours each day working on my typing speed. TypingBolt has been pretty fun for that.
- Gearing up to start a major remodeling project at home. I’ve done enough DIY remodeling in the past to figure out what I’m not good at and what I shouldn’t be allowed to mess with (e.g., plumbing, hardwood). Excited and nervous to bring in the big guns. Looks like we might start in mid-December.
- Yep. Still to this Spotify Playlist — I’ve been listening to this playlist almost every work day since September 2016. I’ve found that listening to the same thing every day gets me in the zone. Since there’s almost nothing new to me in it (I might add a new song every month), I don’t become distracted by the music itself (I was a musician before I got involved with the internet and new or complex music can easily highjack my focus).
- Reading a bunch of books
- Small Giants
- Tools of Titans
- Lean In
- Journaling in my 5-Minute Journal.
- Listening to podcasts (usually at 1.5—2x speed) any time I’m mobile.
- Tim Ferriss Show — What can I say? I’m completely addicted. There are episodes I’ve listed to 10+ times.
- Masters of Scale — Feels a little overproduced for my taste at times, but really great ideas.
- Becoming Superhuman — Found this when searching for podcast episodes with Basecamp’s DHH. Every episode is great.
- The James Altucher Show — Another great business podcast.
- This Week in Startups — The primary way that I keep plugged into the “tech scene” overall.