Last updated: 2018-11-12
This is my /Now page. This is everything I’m up to…right now.
I’m currently living in Portland, OR with my wife and our two Pomeranians. I work from home and my neighbors must surely think I’m unemployed…or a drug dealer. At the end of the day, I have a house and home office that I love and I almost never have to leave. I’m pretty happy with the arrangement.
Things that are keeping me busy and excited these days.
- Teaching Web Analytics as part of Portland State University’s CEPE program for the 5th time. It continues to be an honor and I get so much out of it every semester.
- In contrast to my typical 15-30 minute conference talks, preparing and delivering ~20-hours worth of course material of two long days has been an interesting challenge. After teaching Web Analytics (WM404) five times, I’m finally starting to feel like I have the course where I want.
- Being the CEO of UpBuild.
- You could sum up my role as “Typist” — I spend 90% my time at my standing desk just typing emails, Slack messages, or blog posts.
- I might be launching my own podcast soon with a good friend of mine. No promises just yet, but I hope to be able to officially announce that in the new year.
- Playing my new keytar. Following a 6-month obsession with playing classical guitar again, I’m now on the keyboard/piano train. Anyone who knows me is probably familiar with my habit of getting into these medium-length obsessions with one or two things. Outside of work, this is my thing now. 😉
- Experimenting with creating my own Synthwave tracks.
- Playing a lot of classical guitar on my Cordoba 45 Limited. Here’s a snippet I put up on Instagram. Some pieces I’m working on:
- Torija by Francisco Moreno Torroba
- Concerning Hobbits (arrangement by Nathan Mills).
- Typing Dvorak — it’s still my obsession. I switched over a year ago and my typing speed on Dvorak is now about 30 WPM better than it was on QWERTY.
- I try to spend at least a few hours each day working on my typing speed. TypingBolt has been pretty fun for that.
- Listening to podcasts (usually at 1.5—2x speed), anytime I’m mobile.
- A friend introduced me to Cortex with CGP Grey and Myke Hurley. It’s just the right blend of work/productivity talk, geekery, and casual banter that I can listen to it at pretty much any time. It’s rare that I find a podcast that I can listen to both during work time and during personal time.
- Work Podcasts: Tim Ferris Show, James Altucher Show, Yonder, Jumpstart/Jeffalytics, Becoming SuperHuman
- Non-Work Podcasts: The Adventure Zone, 10% Happier, Radio Free Burrito
This page was inspired by Derek Sivers and NowNowNow.com. Learn more about /Now pages.